Bike Commuting Essentials
May is National Bike Month – but more specifically, May 15-19 is National Ride to Work week. Cycling to work has a wide range of benefits – it’s cheaper than driving, it’s a great [free] workout, and you won’t have to worry about getting stuck in traffic.
If you are going to ride to work – there are some things you are definitely going to want to have.
For starters – you’ll need a bike, but you already knew that. You’ll also need a helmet… for obvious reasons (protect your brain, please!). But you’ll also want some of these other things as well:
- For maximum visibility, it’s best to have a front light & flashing rear light
- You’d hate for your bike to disappear while you’re at work – trust me, walking home is NOT as much fun as riding home.
- Let people know you’re coming
- Multi – Tool
- Even if you never use it, you’ll feel safer having it. Think: to raise your seat, tighten screws, etc.
- Spare Tube and/or patch kit
- tiny, cheap, light & invaluable in a pinch.
- stay hydrated!
- Mirror (for handlebar or helmet)
- if you’re riding through traffic, you need to see all around you!
Click here to see additional accessories!